Peacock Springs

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Price for Great Images

Night_0022

We have all had circumstances where we took chances to get just the shot we wanted. The other day I decided to try my hand at night photography, something I haven't done in many years. I decided that a nearby country road was the perfect setting as it has an overpass from which I could set up my camera and has very few lights as there isn't much business in the area. What I did not count on was how little room there was between the lane marker and the railing. The cars passing behind me at a high rate of speed were mere inches from my backside while I held the shutter open. Was it worth it? The shot is above and I'll let you make your own choice here, but for me, yes, it was worth it.

Having survived my night's adventure, I decided to take an ostensibly safe trip around the block. To my surprise there was a lily in bloom down the street in a place that was certainly not tended by anyone in particular. I was attracted to this little flower growing on its own in the midst of the wild and looked for a sufficient backdrop on which to pose my beautiful new friend. To the right and up a bit from the lily was a huge oak tree I thought may serve the purpose, but to place the tree properly in the background I needed to get down to ground level. What I didn't realize then and is painfully obvious now, is that the lily was growing among a large patch of poison ivy. As a matter of fact, if you look at the picture closely you will notice the ivy growing up the trunk of the oak tree. That would be the cause of the terrible rash and itching along my left arm and extending down my back. Was that image worth the effort? Again, I'll let you make your own decision, but right now I'm thinking not.

Deceptive Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment